Note: Minimum age 16 years
Before the Grading:
- Completion of First Aid & CPR course
- 90 hours of assisting in teaching at Kids’ classes, camps, etc.
- Knowledge of teaching methods
- Participation in club gradings by taking part in the workout, doing kata, kumite, and self-defence as requested, and setting a high example of effort
- Participation in a majority of our club tournaments, kata competitions, kumite competitions, weapons competitions, seminars
- Participation in out-of-town tournaments and seminars
- Books to read (choose 3) and give a one page summary:
- Karate-Do: My Way of Life – Gichin Funakoshi
- Sword and Brush : The Spirit of the Martial Arts – Dave Lowry
- The Weaponless Warriors – Richard Kim
- Karate: The Art of Empty Self – Terrence Webster-Doyle
- Facing the Double-Edged Sword: The Art of Karate for Young People – Terrence Webster-Doyle
- Why is Everybody Always Picking on Me: A Guide to Handling Bullies – Terrence Webster-Doyle
- Johnathan Livingston Seagull
- Living the Martial Way – Forrest Morgan
- Your suggestion – see Sensei first.
- Moving Zen
- Zen in the Martial Arts
- The Black Belt Manager
- Beyond the Known
- Code of the Samurai
- The Everyday Genius
- Tuesdays with Morrie
- Budo Secrets
- Kodo – Ancient Ways
- The Monk who Sold his Ferrari
- Body Mind Mastery
Essay topic to be researched – an outline in point form, 2- 3 pages, of the major areas to be covered, books to use in research etc. This outline could be used later as the basis for the International Requirement of a 15 page essay (Juniors essay can be 7.5 pages). Also 1 page summary on 2 books from the above list.
Gradings for 2nd and 3rd Dan will require a 2 – 5 page write up of what you have learned/done since your last grading. For example, what have you trained on/worked on since your last grading. What have you done for your Dojo, federation (EMAC Canada), community and/or what books have you read since your last grading.
- Running – able to run/walk 5-10 k. (depends on many physical factors)
- Will be Physically, Mentally, and Emotionally challenging. Remember – Body, Mind, Spirit!
- Kihon Kata Kumite Self-Defence
Cost: $300.00 CDN – grading fee, use of books & materials, certificate, and cloth black belt.
Nidan – $300.00 CDN
Sandan – $400.00 CDN
Yondan – $400.00 CDN